Friday, May 16, 2014

fashion friday.

one of the things that i find most frustrating is finding clothes that are both comfortable and fashionable.  i love clothes -- just ask my boyfriend and our overflowing closet! -- and i used to love shopping for them.... until i got sick.  now shopping for them is hours upon hours of frustration.  nothing seems to fit right anymore, and because of the pain and bloating in my body, it's so hard to tell from day to day what size i am going to be, what body part is going to hurt and can't be pushed against that day, and i never know what size i should buy.  there are days that i can wear my skinny jeans in the morning, and by the evening my stomach is so distended from the inflammation in my bladder and belly that nothing else fits but drawstring sweatpants!  UGH!!  i know i am not the only one who has this problem (and who is so frustrated and upset by it), so i thought that i would start something new on my blog.

every friday, i am going to have fashion friday, where i showcase a type of clothing that i have found is especially friendly for those of us with chronic illnesses.  i have tried so many different styles of clothing over the years (with many hits and misses) that i want to be able to share the information with you all so that you don't have to waste the time that i did, too!  this way you can find the information right here, all compiled for you so you don't have to go searching on your own.  i will include many different price points and a variety of stores so that hopefully i cover all ends of the spectrum.  and hey, even if you don't have a chronic illness, i hope you enjoy the fashion finds as well!

for this first fashion friday, i am going to be covering a new trend for the spring and summer that i was very happy to see come back: shorts with elastic waistbands!  some stores are calling them "soft shorts" this year, but either way i am thrilled they are back! they are super comfy for us without looking like we are wearing sweatpants (which they kind of are, but who is gonna tell?! not me!).  combining them with a loose tank or tee, a sandal and a chunky necklace, and we can fly out the door looking great (even if we don't feel like it inside).  it's important to feel somewhat put together on the outside, even if we aren't feeling too great inside, because it boosts our spirits a bit and gives us just enough of an attitude change that we feel like we can face more than we could if we were in our sweats.  that's why i think it's important to try to put on "real" clothes when we leave the house, and that's where fashion friday comes in.  this way, we can wear regular clothes without stuffing ourselves into something that is uncomfortable and makes us feel worse.  so without further blabbing from me, checking out these awesome shorts.  :)




buy here

buy here

buy here
[other patterns available]

buy here
[other colors available]

buy here

buy here

buy here

buy here

buy here

buy here
[other patterns available]

buy here
[other colors available]

buy here

buy here

buy here

buy here

buy here
[other colors available]

buy here

buy here

aren't these great?!  these are just a few of the many styles i found online.  they come in all sorts of patterns this year -- stripes, florals, polka dots, paisley -- and are mostly a nice, breathable cotton, but can also found in more elegant fabrics, such as a silk or jersey, if you're looking for an alternative for a dressier event.  i love that these can be dressed up or down, and that they are very easy to put together as an outfit yet are super comfortable!  i have bought a few pairs for myself from target, charlotte russe, and pac sun, and they have been getting a lot of use so far this year.  remember, they are very trendy this year so even if a store you shop at frequently isn't shown here, look there anyway -- i saw so many cute ones that i just didn't have room to list!

i hope you enjoyed the first fashion friday, and as always, if you have any comments or suggestions for anything you want to see in upcoming fashion fridays, let me know down below!  have a great weekend!

3 comments :

  1. I work in retail, so the subject of fashion interests me very much. :) I'm really sorry to hear that you have difficulty finding clothes that are both stylish and comfortable. I'm really loving the idea for this post though and I think a lot of people will benefit from it. That's so interesting that you found shorts with elastic waistbands. I knew that they existed, but I didn't really know that they were so stylish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked my post! I am really interested in fashion too, so I am looking forward to getting to do this every week!

      It is difficult to find clothes sometimes because wearing anything form-fitting can quickly go from flattering to gross when my bloating starts:( So I usually lean towards more flowy tops, but it's hard to find ones that look nice without making you look pregnant! And same for pants, finding ones that are loose without being too baggy or snug without giving you a bad muffin top when I'm having a bloating problem. But slowly I'm finding things that work. :) like I said in my comment on your blog, isn't it so weird how different things are in two countries right next door?! These are a huge trend this season, they're in practically every store I go in, and from your comment I'm going to assume they aren't there. Isn't that weird?! You should try to get a pair though, I have bought some and even though you don't have the problems I do they are soooo comfy -- like wearing your pj bottoms out in public, woohoo!!! :D

      Delete
  2. I can completely relate to the frustration that comes with trying to find clothes you like which are also comfortable. Since I've been ill half my wardrobe has gone untouched for exactly that reason. Some of these shorts are so pretty but also look like they'd feel really nice to wear!
    Faye | freckles-and-all.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Get Polished